Thursday, August 2, 2007

World Breastfeeding Week

August 1 - 7 is World Breastfeeding Week. We have been exclusively breastfeeding since the beginning and plan on continuing until Audrey wants to quit. I feel lucky to have had no complications and a supportive husband. Audrey latched right on. My milk came in 3 days after I gave birth and we have been gaining weight and producing lovely stool and urine specimens ever since.

Did you know that exclusively breastfed baby's poo doesn't even smell bad! Really, it smells almost sweet.

In honor of this week-long initiative to raise awareness of the benefits of breastfeeding, I have put together a list of a few breastfeeding resources:

The National Women's Health Information Center's breastfeeding pages

Kellymom - A website that provides evidence-based information on breastfeeding and other parenting topics.

Dr. Jack Newman's breastfeeding page - I like this page specifically for the latch videos. So much of the first breastfeeding for me and my daughter was done alone. I wasn't sure we were doing it right. Dr. Newman's videos reassured me that we were.

Baby Center's breastfeeding page - Lots of articles on a variety of breastfeeding topics from the basics to dealing with challenges to pumping and storing expressed milk.

50 State Summary of Breastfeeding Laws - The National Conference of State Legislature's website summarizing the state laws (or lack of laws) protecting nursing mothers.

1 comment:

SydneyDawn said...

Congratulations! I plan to exclusively breastfeed in February when my baby arrives. :)